Can My Ex Refuse To Change the Schedule To Stop Our Child From Going to Disney World?

Can My Ex Refuse To Change the Schedule To Stop Our Child From Going to Disney World?


Disney World are a frequent source of conflict after separation, and the subject of many Family Court motions, perhaps because the non-travelling parent is jealous or fears that the trip could give the travelling parent an advantage in having a relationship with a child.  Judges do not care about those concerns, judge base these parenting decisions only on whether the trip is in the child's best interest.  Judges will generally allow small manipulations of the parenting schedule to allow a child to go on a vacation.


So, the issue is: what do you do when a parent unreasonable refuses a travel request?  Read this page for your options and the steps you may have to follow to go on the trip.  Unfortunately, if the other parent cannot be persuaded, and continues to unreasonably refuse to allow a parent and child to travel, it may be necessary to go to Family Court.  On the upside, if the judge is upset enough, the resulting Court Order may dispense with the necessity of getting travel consent in the future if the other parent is just being unreasonable.

Guide to the Basics of Ontario Family Law - 4th edition cover

You can get a lot more information about Ontario Family Law issues, including a comprehensive explanation of child custody, moving with the children, child support, and most other common family law issues by downloading this $9.99 Kindle eBook, Kobo eBook, or iBook for your iPad or iPhone or ordering it from Amazon as a paperback

New Kobo Logo
new kindle logo


However, if the trip is coming up soon, you may want to get in to see a lawyer pretty quickly to get advice specific to your situation and to get things in motion so the trip can go ahead.  Certified Specialist in Family Law, John Schuman, is known for his concern for children in separation and divorce and has won many child custody cases.  To contact John, call 416-446-4036, email him , or fill out the form below. You can use the same form to comment on this page.

Many thousands of people get family law assistance from this website everyday.  If you have found this page useful, please share it on your social network using the Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest buttons at the bottom of the page.  Please comment on this page using the comments section at the bottom to share your thoughts on the best ways to resolve matters after a separation. 

© John P. Schuman and John P. Schuman, Professional Corporation - 2012-2023