Ontario Family Law Podcast
The award-winning Ontario Family Law Podcast is hosted by Certified Specialist in Family Law, Ontario family lawyer, mediator, arbitrator and collaborative lawyer, John Schuman. John is also the author of the Guide to the Basics of Ontario Family Law, which is available from Amazon as a paperback or a Kindle eBook and from iTunes for your iphone/ipad.
In an easy-to-understand manner, the podcast discusses all family law matters, from marriage, to separation and divorce, and child welfare issues. John discusses many, and the most important, family law issues in depth and provides pointers to keep people out of trouble.
John has also devoted episodes to the podcast to discussing children rights issues and provides advice to parents about how to protect their children, especially vulnerable children at school or when dealing with Children’s Aid Societies.
A complete list of all the podcasts topics is at the left (or below for mobile users).
Some of the topics covered include:
- marriage contracts and cohabitation agreement
- what does “divorce” mean
- how do you get parenting time? How do you get to make decisions for a child?
- why is wrong to ask for custody of a child?
- what say to children get in family court?
- how is child support calculated?
- what are special and extraordinary expenses? Who pays? How much?
- how is property divided after separation (and how that is different for married and common-law couples)
- what is family mediation, family arbitration and collaborative practice?
- how to keep assets away from your inlays
- the Ontario Family Court process, step-by-step, from how to start court proceedings, through all the steps leading up to trial, and even how to change a final order or agreement
- domestic violence and what to do
- special family law issues for Emergency First Responders (Police, Paramedics, Firefighters, etc.)
- special topics on children’s issues and children’s rights, especially with regard to the rights children have in pubic schools, and what to expect from private schools.
- common law relationships
- the rights of grandparents and other family members to kids
- what happens when someone breaches a family court order and how to enforce those orders
This podcast It is essential listening for anyone experiencing major life events. Just listening can make sure you do not fall into any family law pitfalls. You can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, Spotify, Amazon Music, Google Podcasts, and most other podcast services or by using RSS.
Starting with Podcast Episode 36, the podcasts are also available in video format both on this site and on YouTube.
Many thanks to Little Jackie Wright for providing the theme music for the Ontario Family Law Podcast. We appreciate their ongoing permission to use their original material
In addition to the Ontario Family Law Podcast, listen to John Schuman on the following radio programs:
- CBC Toronto’s Here and Now, particularly with regard to the St. Mike’s Scandal. John has been Jill Dempsey’s guest several times and has also been a guest on Metro Morning.
- The Ward & Al Show discussing child support
- Difficult Custody Cases and Child Abduction on CBC Radio in Winnipeg
- CBC Radio 1 discussing Grandparents Being Sued for Child Support
- CBC Ontario Morning discussion “Divorce Month”
- CBC Hear and Now Discussing the University Cheating Scandal in the United States
- CBC Hear and Now on The Sentencing of the bullies in the St. Michael’s College School Case
- Radio 640 on Children’s Rights During the Education Workers Strike
To contact John Schuman, use the email address or telephone number at the top of this page.
To contact John Schuman, Certified Specialist in Family Law, call 416-446-5847, email him at firstname.lastname@example.org, or use the form on this page.