Who Gets the Increase In Value in the Home After Separation? | John P. Schuman C.S., Child and Family Law

Who Gets the Increase In Value in the Home After Separation?

With property values going up tens of thousands of dollars every year, and the family court process often taking more than a year to complete (which is why man people chose mediation or collaborative practice), who gets that additional money from the family home or matrimonial home can be an important issue in separation or divorce.   The answer to that question depends on the specific facts of each case.  Some facts that make a difference are whether the couple is married or common law, whether they own the house jointly, or only one spouse owns it, who paid the expenses of the home during the relationship and after, and several other factors can affect the answer.

Guide to the Basics of Ontario Family Law - 4th edition cover

In this informative video, Certified Specialist in Family Law, John Schuman, explains what happens to the increase value of the home after separation.  He explains when it is divided and when it is not, what separated spouses should do to makes sure they share in the full value of their homes and how Judges can correct unfairness.  Watch the video to make sure your home is divided fairly in separation or divorce.

$9.99 Immediate Download:


New Kobo Logo

Paperback available from:


If you need more information about how to protect your home, your investments or your assets after separation, pick up John’s best selling, easy-to-understand book on the Basics of Ontario Family Law.  It explains the law in more detail, gives some tips on what to do when the property division is working out badly, and sets out how to protect yourself whether you are dealing with your divorce in or outside of court.  The book is not only available as paperback, but also as a $9.99 e-book for KindleKobo, or iPad/iPhone/Mac.  

Ontario Family Law Podcast

You may also want to listen to the Ontario Family Law Podcast episodes on:

9 - Property Division in Ontario After Marriage

29 - Common Law Separation and Property Division

8 - How your heart can get you into financial trouble - Step Children and Matrimonial Homes

But the best way to protect yourself, your investment in your home and other things and people that are important to you, is to find out how the law applies specifically to your situation and what steps you should take to get things to work out for you. Contact Certified Specialist in Family Law (and author of the book above), John Schuman, by emailing him, calling 416-446-5869, or using the contact form below.  We answer all inquiries promptly and we can arrange for you to come in quickly for a consultation (charged at a reduced hourly rate). 

Feel free to share this video on your social network by clicking on the buttons below.  To contact John Schuman about your case, or comment on this video, use the form below.

Contact John Schuman

© John P. Schuman and John P. Schuman, Professional Corporation - 2012-2023