95 – How to Pick The Country For Your Divorce


How to Pick The Country For Your Divorce

When separated spouses live in different countries or provinces, they may wonder where the best place would be to get divorced. Where the separated spouses now live in different places, it may be possible to chose where the divorce will occur. Different jurisdictions have different laws. Often it can be more advantageous for one spouse to get divorced in one jurisdiction over another.

To answer the question of a follower, Certified Specialist in Family Law, John Schuman, discusses the considerations in deciding where to get divorced. He answers questions like:

  1. When can a married couple choose different places to get divorced?
  2. If someone gets divorced outside Canada, will Canada recognize the divorce as valid?
  3. How does someone determine where would be best to get a divorce?
  4. If the spouse cannot agree, how will courts decide where the divorce will happen?
  5. How does the place of divorce affect issues like child support, spousal support, property division and parenting?

If you found this episode helpful, check out these episodes on similar topics:

55.    • Can You Get Divorced in Canada?  

67.    • How Fast Can You Get Divorced in Onta…  

89.    • Can Child Support Be Reduced for High…  

72.    • Why Would a Judge Refuse to Grant a D…  

48.    • The COVID19 – Family Law Property SCAM  

75.    • What Legal Reasons Are There for Keep…  

60.    • Why You Won’t Get Custody of Your Kids  

The Ontario Family Law Podcast is a companion to the book, Guide to the Basics of Ontario Family Law. The latest edition, which is up-to-date on all important divorce issues is now available. Get it as a $9.99 Kindle eBookhere: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0CN8WWYHD, or as an Apple Book for your iPad or iPhone here: https://books.apple.com/ca/book/guide… . You can also get it as a paperback or hard cover from Amazon ( https://www.amazon.ca/Guide-Basics-On… ) at better bookstores.

Contact Us

To contact John Schuman, Education Lawyer, call 416-446-5847, email him at john.schuman@devrylaw.ca, or use the form on this page.

Give us a call
Contact Form Fluent Form (#6)