Legal and Valid Separation Agreements – Step by Step

After separation, there are only two ways finalize things with your ex under Ontario Family Law: 

1. by way of a court order, or 

2. with a separation agreement.  

Almost everyone uses a separation agreement and avoids having terms imposed on the spouses and children by a Family Court Judge.  But, to have a valid separation agreement, whether it be about Child Custody, Child Support, Alimony or Property Division, separating spouses have to follow certain rules and take certain steps – even if when they are working with a mediator.  In this segment on To Your Success TV, Certified Specialist in Family Law, John Schuman, explains what to do to have a separation agreement that will stand up so you only have to divorce your ex once – and not over and over again because her or she does not like the agreement any more.